Get to Know Scott and the Inspiration for Getting Back Up
Getting Back Up Founder Scott Fedor looking great in his pair of NBZ Jeans
1. Scott, tell us a little bit about yourself and share your personal story?
I broke my neck and was paralyzed in a diving accident. I founded Getting Back Up to raise awareness for spinal cord injuries and help others in similar situations. Prior to my injury, I had a successful marketing career. I have a B.S. in Finance from Lehigh University, where I also studied Mandarin Chinese; and an M.B.A. from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. I serve on the Board of Directors for LEAP, a nonprofit that helps those with disabilities. I am also an advocate member of Adversity 2 Advocacy, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit. Today I have a career as a motivational speaker and speak to groups ranging from Fortune 500 companies to inner-city schools about the power of a positive attitude, the importance of faith and perseverance through difficult times.
2. Describe your organization, Getting Back Up and its mission.
Getting Back Up serves individuals with spinal cord injuries by improving their quality of life with exercise therapy services and assistive products that offer an immediate and positive impact on their physical and emotional well-being. All services and products provided are items which are not covered by medical insurance.
3. What is the biggest change/impact that you are striving to accomplish?
My drive is to help others confront and rise above the adversity they face in their lives. The human spirit is a powerful force that can serve people well once they learn to tap into it.
4. What are some challenges you’ve come across along the way and how have you overcome them?
It’s a long list. For starters, I was told I would never breathe on my own, move any part of my body, or be able to spend long periods of time out of bed. I’ve been able to overcome all those obstacles. Perseverance, hard work, and the right attitude are the pillars for the challenges I face.
5. What advice would you give to those who have recently injured their spinal cord?
Unfortunately, it’s a challenging injury that takes patience and time. You need to stay the course and incrementally work towards improving your situation. It’s not going to happen overnight. And it certainly won’t happen if you have a sour attitude.
6. NBZ Apparel embellishes living life with #NoBoundarieZ as part of its mission. What does this mean to you personally? How do you and your organization relate to this mission?
When I speak to audiences I always stress the fact that we cannot control what happens to us. We can only control how we respond to what happens. Everything starts with the right attitude. Once you have that, it’s amazing what can be accomplished.
To help those living with a spinal cord injury improve their quality of life TODAY by providing goods and services which can help make a difference in someone’s IMMEDIATE situation.
7. When you’re not busy with Getting Back Up what Activities do you enjoy?
I love being outside any chance I get. If I must be indoors, I usually enjoy writing and watching movies.
8. Do you have any upcoming/future plans that you would like to share?
I am currently writing a book about my story which I hope to have complete in 2018.
9. How can others find more information regarding your organization?
To learn more about Getting Back Up, please visit www.gettingbackup.org
To learn more about me, please visit www.scottwfedor.com
What Makes NBZ Jeans and Pants Different?
Click to View NBZ Brand Products
- All fabrics are soft and stretchy for comfort and sensory issues
- Durable and long lasting
- Elastic waist – easy pull-on pants
- No buttons, zippers or tags – aiding independent dressing
- Stylish, great looking pants with belt loops and mock fly
- A variety of denim colors along with the black dress and khaki options
- Every purchase goes towards helping others through our social good program